If your pet is between 1 and 7 years of age, now is the time to start a wellness program for your pet! During these years, routine wellness exams will play the greatest role in preventing disease and promoting excellent health.
Our Wellness Plan here at Wilderness Trace Veterinary Clinic has several services which are performed during your pet’s yearly visit. These Include:
PHYSICAL EXAM: Your pet needs a physical exam and is required by our clinic for yearly vaccinations. The exam will allow us to catch health issues early and start treatment if necessary. After all, our pets can’t tell us if they have a problem.
A physical exam should include the following systems:
- EARS: For ear mites, infection and tumors.
- MOUTH: For tarter, gingivitis and any broken or loose teeth, and mouth tumors.
- EYES:For glaucoma and cataracts.
- JOINTS: For range of motion, swelling or pain.
- SKIN:For fleas and any hair loss due to allergies or fungal infections.
- ABDOMEN:For enlarged organs or growths.
- LYMPH NODES: For swelling and possible infection.
- DA2-Distemper, Parvo, Hepatitis, Adenovirus, Parinfluenza-common viral diseases of dogs.
- RABIES-Deadly viral disease of the nervous system, Required by law in state of Ky.
- KENNEL COUGH- Contagious Bronchitis
- LEPTOSPIROSIS– Bacterial disease that causes kidney and liver failure.
INTESTINAL PARASITE EXAM- Stool sample to check for hook, whip and round worms and protoza. These parasites can be transmitted to people, especially children.
HEARTWORM TEST- Blood test to check for heartworm infestation, this test should be performed yearly even if your pet is taking heartworm preventative.
Teeth need cleaning at least once a year to maintain healthy teeth and gums. For more information on Dental Care please visit our Dentistry information page by clicking here.